All of Us

All of Us
At I's wedding in July 2019. Back row from left: My oldest D (27) and his wife B (27), My 6th K (16), My 3rd L (23), My 5th T (19), and my 7th A (14). Front row from left: My 9th Z (11), My 10th M (9), Me!, My new son-in-law L (23), My 4th I (22), my love D, My 2nd J (25), and my 8th M (11).

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Cooking

It's just what I feel like doing these days--and eating, of course! I'm such an autumn person--the season really energizes me.

The other day I made:

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Bars

Soak 1 C rolled oats in 1 C very hot water. Cream together 1/2 C butter, 1/2 C honey and 1 egg. Add 1 C whole wheat flour, 1/2 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1/3C peanut butter and the oat/water mixture. Mix well.

Bake in greased 9x13 pan for 10--15 minutes at 350F.

In saucepan, melt together 1/3C peanut butter, 1 C chocolate chips and 3 Tbsp. milk. (This recipe actually calls for carob chips, in an attempt to be healthy, but it is SO much better with chocolate!)

Let bars cool for 5 minutes, then spread chocolate topping on. Cool and enjoy!



Last night I put this in the crock pot for dinner:

Chicken Stew with Peanut Sauce (also known as African Groundnut Stew)

Cut up 1 frying chicken into bite size chunks (I used 1.5 lbs. boneless thighs--much easier to cut up) or use 1 lb. ground beef. Dredge chicken pieces in flour and brown outside in 1/4C oil. Remove chicken from pan and saute 1 onion and 2 cloves garlic in remaining oil. Add 1 28 oz. can chopped tomatoes, 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley (or 2 tsp. dried), 1/2 tsp. salt and tabasco sauce to taste. Return chicken to pan and simmer 45 minutes. Add 1/2 C peanut butter and simmer 15 minutes. Serve over brown rice.

I doubled the recipe and served 9 people (my crew plus my MIL) and we have leftovers.

I sauteed the chicken and garlic/onions, then put all ingredients except peanut butter in crockpot for 4 hours on high, then added peanut butter and left it in pot another 1.5 hours. It is SO good, makes the house smell great.

1 comment:

Lori said...

This time of year makes me want to bake, cook and eat more too! I'm in the mood especially for anything with apples or pumpkin in it. The bars sound good. I think I'll try them, thanks for the recipe.

About Me

My photo
SE Michigan, United States
Mother to 10 fabulous kids, ages 9 to 27 years! Mother-in-law to 2 more awesome young adults! Married for 32 years to my best friend.

Followers

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive